Even though delegating work may seem like a no-brainer, it's often not the first idea that comes to mind when you're contemplating how to get things done at work. Learn more about how it truly is one of the best approaches.
It's easy to get in the mindset that if you want things done the right way you have to do them yourself. But that isn't always the best approach at work, even if you firmly believe you're the best person for the job. There simply isn't enough time in the day, especially if you have a business to run.
Like it or not, you must learn how to delegate work to your employees. Here are some helpful hints:
• Develop a game plan. Start by deciding which tasks to delegate and which employees will be assigned responsibilities. The workload doesn't have to be etched in stone, but you need a basic plan to subdivide jobs.
• Find your most reliable, autonomous employees. You will need to rely on people who can think for themselves. Don't rely on employees who you anticipate will be constantly seeking your guidance. If you have to show someone what to do every step of the way, it defeats the entire purpose.
• Don't hinder your employees. Give them the authority to act independently and make decisions on the fly. Don't hinder the process by requiring employees to obtain your approval on every decision. This will only turn into a variation of doing things the same old way.
• Keep track of work progress. This aspect must be handled with sensitivity. You'll want to keep an eye on employees, but you can't keep looking over their shoulders either. Find the proper balance.
• Analyze the results. Do this to determine if the work met your expectations. If it didn't, offer constructive criticism for improvements. Make this a learning experience for both of you.
As you become more comfortable delegating work, you can continue to loosen the reins. When you spend less time on routine matters, you'll have more time to devote to growing your business profits.
As always, feel free to pass this Tip along to friends, and reach out if you need help with your personal tax and finance situation.
651 Via Alondra Suite 715
Camarillo, CA 93012
This publication provides summary information regarding the subject matter at time of publishing. Please call with any questions on how this information may impact your situation. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed without permission, except as noted here. All rights reserved.