DiSabatino CPA Blog

Mike DiSabatino CPA

1 minute reading time (176 words)

Use Your Tax Refund to Fund Your IRA

Use Your Tax Refund to Fund Your IRA

If you're short on cash to fund an IRA contribution this year, Uncle Sam may effectively lend you the money.

Technique: Use your federal income tax refund to fund an IRA contribution. Simply file your 2013 return as early as you can, claiming the amount you intend to contribute. When you receive the refund, deposit the stated amount in your IRA by no later than April 15, 2014.

The IRS approved this taxpayer-friendly technique years ago. (IRS Revenue Ruling 84-18)

The IRA contribution limit for the 2013 tax year is $5,500 ($6,500 if you're age 50 or older). If you actively participate in an employer retirement plan, the deduction phases out for a modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) between $59,000 and $69,000 for single filers; $95,000 and $1151000 for joint filers. If your spouse is the active participant, the phaseout range is between $1781000 and $188,000 of MAGI.

As always, should you have any questions or concerns regarding your situation please feel free to call.

DiSabatino CPA
651 Via Alondra, Suite 715
Camarillo, CA 93012

Phone: 805-389-7300

Lock in write-offs at assisted living facilities
Capitalization vs. expensing

Related Posts


Speed Up Your Success!

Contact Us Today: 1-805-389-7300

© 2006-2018 Michael DiSabatino, CPA. All Rights Reserved.